Thursday, August 19, 2010

T-Shirt Transformations

When people say a book changed their life, they are usually talking about such books as Great Expectations by Charles Dickens or 1984 by George Orwell.  But for me, it was Generation T: Beyond Fashion.
This book inspired me to pull out my sewing machine and start crafting.  Before I knew it I was transforming my daughters camp shirts into cute, totally styled and unique creations. Not all the projects in this book require sewing, which is what initially intrigued me about it, but after starting with the no-sew projects I ventured into the more daring sew-just-one-straight-line projects.  Here is a sample of one of my daughters t-shirts transformed:
Now as you can see, to make this shirt, the very first thing you do is cut off the sleeves.  These shirt transformations meant piles and piles of t-shirt sleeves on my desk.  This got me thinking....what can we do with these sleeves?  Well one thing led to another and my daughter and I started messing with the sleeves and found out that they make really cool t-shirts for the dolls!

These shirts require NO SEWING, so they are a great craft for kids.  My daughter and her friend have had a blast whipping these babies up.  Of course, we posted a step by step tutorial for each one. You can find them here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBQWS77cUtU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbXJW_P4ruE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dtz072dekLM

Channel your inner fashion designer and get cutting!  Oh, and you should probably ask your parents permission before cutting up any of your t-shirts.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment